Educating Young Students From The Inside Out

Educating Preschool students from the "Inside Out"

Friday, December 9, 2011

Mother Moon

Mother Moon


Oh mother moon
you are a full moon tonight bring me much spiritual delight.
I stand outside to catch your rays
for they bring me peace and tranquility of body and soul.
I mark your date on my calendar
and wish that your beauty will shine ever so bright
and bit be covered by clouds in the night.
I need your full moon light to enhance my being,
for your moon rays are my soul's delight.


Rainemoon

I can't believe that it has been a month already since our last full moon party in our classroom. Since the full moon is today Saturday, we celebrated Friday in our classroom at the Living Wisdom School.  The children are delighted with this monthly ritual. 
Both of my classes were inspired to join in the fun. In the morning Preschool class we made headbands and created night sky collages. After lunch we paraded around the school for our full moon parade. It was a beautiful day with clear skies over Seattle 
The children are finishing their moon headbands. These headbands stay at school and are worn each month. They are made of soft felt and tacky glue is used to apply the embellishments.

In the afternoon Kindergarten class, I choose an activity from one of my followers: Beth a homeschooling mom,@ www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com.


I had made the stages of the moon and mounted them on card stock. Each stage was numbered.
 The children and I brought our Paul Newman Mint Oreo cookies and matched each stage to the moon cards.  That was yummy and fun.



The second part of the activity was making our moon booklets. Below the moon stage cards were smaller cut out papers for the children to glue individually on each page. These moon stages were numbered to match each page in their booklet.  Now the next time I do this project, I would like to make this process a little simpler for the Kindergarten child. I would break it down in small increments over a few days. 






Ending with the Full moon


Now the fun part of this project had two perspectives that I had not actually planned. When I set the cards down on the table, we marched around the table and visually saw how the moon waxes and wanes. Also in their booklets, they are able to take the book and turn it around and watch the moon go back through the stages in the opposite direction. 


Next month, we will spend more time on the waxing and waning stages of the Moon. 


How do you ever know if you have acceived your goals in teaching to very young children? 

A child said to me today: " I am going to go home and set this in my room, so I can look at the sky each night and match my new moon booklet." 

That was a wonderful idea and one that I hadn't thought of today. 

The children can always tune us into the next step in their learning process.We just need to be open, respective and quiet enough to listen carefully. Isn't this interesting. Aren't these some of the qualities that the "Mother Moon" can reflect back to us?

May this evening moon light fill your family with deep peace, joy and understanding as we prepare for the festive holiday season approaching later this month.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comments. Thank you.